Red onion health benefits - In addition to making the dishes taste tasty and fragrant, there are many benefits of red onion that are useful for health. Delicious cooking ingredients are used as fried onions, apparently low in calories, fat-free, containing antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Red onion is thought to originate from China, Central Asia, or Southeast Asia and existed around 2000 BC. red onion has long been a staple of Mediterranean, French, American and Dutch cuisine. These tubers are often used as one ingredient in salad dressings (sauces), stir-fry, fried spices, and sauces to add flavor.
Various benefits of red onion according to their content
If judging from the contents, there are many benefits of red onion for health, the following explanation:
red onion contains vitamin C. Various benefits of vitamin C, including:
- Helps protect and maintain body cells to stay healthy,
- Helps the formation of collagen, and contains antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by free radicals, toxic chemicals, and pollution.
- Maintain bones, muscles and blood vessels.
- Increases iron absorption by the body.
Read too: Health Benefits Of Garlic
This vitamin is found in many animal and vegetable food sources, including red onions. Vitamin B6 also plays a role in the formation of red blood cells in the body. Vitamin B6 is also thought to reduce nausea and vomiting in pregnant women.
Folate (Vitamin B9)
This nutrient is certainly not foreign to pregnant women. In 100 grams of onion, there are 30 micrograms of folate. Folate has many health benefits, such as:
- Prevents fetal defects in the womb, and plays a role in maintaining maternal and fetal health during pregnancy. Because it doesn't hurt pregnant women add red onions to the daily diet to increase folate intake.
- Some studies suggest that low levels of folate in the body can cause an increased risk of cancer. Although it still needs to be investigated further, it is better to add folic acid intake through onions in food.
- Together with vitamins B6 and B12, folate is thought to play a role in preventing heart disease and stroke.
red onion contains antioxidant flavonoids, which help protect the body from free radicals and can reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Laboratory studies show that red onion extract containing these antioxidants can inhibit cancer cell growth. But this data has not been clinically tested.
In 100 grams of onion, about 330 mg of potassium. Minerals which are one type of electrolyte play a role in regulating nerve function, regulating the rhythm of the heartbeat, and preventing high blood pressure.
In addition, red onions also contain fiber, carbohydrates, and water. Fiber is the intake of important nutrients that can help maintain the health of the digestive tract. One study showed that women with diabetes who used to eat yogurt and red onions had lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides than those who did not eat red onions.
Some of the benefits of red onion above so far still need further research. In addition, you need to remember that to get the maximum benefits of onion, it must be accompanied by a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Seafood Nutritional Benefits For Health