Benefits of organic food - Organic food is said to be claimed to be healthier than food ingredients developed with non-organic agriculture and livestock. Is that right?
The main differences between organic and non-organic food ingredients can be seen from the way farmers and farmers process vegetables, fruits, grains, and meat that will be sold for consumption. Farmers and organic breeders do not use synthetic ingredients such as pesticides and fertilizers on plants or injecting antibiotics in the animals they maintain.
Benefits of organic food
Some people began to choose to buy organic food compared to materials developed with conventional methods for several reasons, including:
Organic food is claimed not to contain pesticides
Conventional farmers generally use synthetic pesticides to protect vegetables and fruits from fungi, pests, and insects. These pesticides will continue to leave residues attached to vegetables and fruit so that it is feared risky to humans who consume them. Unlike conventional farmers, organic farmers use natural predators or insect traps to eradicate pests and insects. However, if there is pesticide use in organic or non-organic food ingredients, it generally does not exceed the level recommended by the government.
There are many things that must be fulfilled by producers if they want to include 'organic' labels on food items to be sold, including:
- Plants are not grown with pesticides including herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, biotechnology, or ion radiation.
- Meat can be labeled organically if farmed animals are fed organic food and are not given antibiotics and growth hormones. These animals must also have enough access to open spaces such as grass in the field.
Organic food is claimed not to contain additional ingredients
Additional ingredients referred to here include preservatives, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutamate (MSG), or coloring agents and flavorings.
Organic food ingredients are claimed to be more environmentally friendly
Organic farming aims to preserve water and soil by reducing pollution from synthetic pesticides.
Organic food tastes better
This could be due to organic farming generally processing plants in limited quantities and directly selling them to the nearest market from the location of the farm. Fresh food will taste better.
Read too: High-Fat Foods That Good For Health
Other Side of Organic Food
You might be wondering, does organic food really bring health benefits? There is no definite answer to this because there is very little evidence to show that eating organic foods really brings more health benefits than conventional foods.
Although there are many benefits, there are several consequences that you must bear if you consume organic foods, including:
- The price of organic food is higher than conventional food ingredients because agriculture and organic farming require special treatment methods.
- Organic food decays faster because it does not contain preservative elements.
- Because they do not use pesticides and other additives, the shape and appearance of organic food may not be as attractive as conventional food ingredients. The color may not be very bright, the size is not so big, or there are holes in the vegetable or fruit.
- Synthetic pesticides are not the only thing that threatens food health because there are also natural poisons that are used as organic pesticides to protect plants. Solanin is one example. If ingested, the ingredients produced by these potatoes can cause interference.
The consequences above do not mean that the quality of organic food can be lower than non-organic food, because the food safety standards applied must be the same.
Are Organic Foods Healthier for Babies?
The study found that there was no difference in the nutritional content contained in organic food compared to foods developed by conventional agriculture. Only a few types such as organic milk have higher omega-3 fatty acid content than non-organic milk which is useful as a protection from heart disease.
The important point of giving organic food to babies is the reduced risk of your child being exposed to pesticides commonly found in food ingredients in conventionally grown fruit and vegetables. This is because babies are more at risk of experiencing disorders due to exposure to pesticides than adults. However, the actual level of pesticides in non-organic food ingredients generally also does not exceed the maximum limit set by the government.
Animals that are not farmed organically are likely to have received antibiotic injections or other treatments to prevent the risk of disease. Some researchers believe that the content of these ingredients in the body of animals consumed can endanger health. But the truth of this matter still needs further investigation.
However, if animals are farmed organically in sick conditions, sometimes they also need to be treated with injections of antibiotics or other drugs. The most important thing above the organic choice or not is to provide adequate and complete nutrition for the baby. Organic food does not always mean healthier choices.
How to be healthier?
People who consume organic vegetables and fruits are less at risk of being exposed to pesticide residues, so also those who eat organically raised meat are less at risk of exposure to bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. However, there are no significant health benefits from consuming organic food ingredients. There are many other factors that determine a person's health in addition to the choice of consuming organic or conventional foods.
Actually, the most important thing is not whether your food is organic or not. Most importantly, make sure you always process the ingredients before consumption in the following ways.
- To get fresh food, buy fruit and vegetables according to the season, or better buy directly from local farmers.
- Wash fruits and vegetables under running water before consumption or processing. By washing, generally, dirt, dust, bacteria, and chemicals attached to the skin layer will disappear. However, there are certain pesticides that cannot be lost by washing. This can be overcome by peeling the skin to reduce the risk of pesticide exposure. On the other hand, peeling off certain skins of fruits or vegetables does run the risk of removing some fiber and nutrients.
- Eating various types of vegetables, fruits, and animal protein can reduce the risk of exposure to one type of pesticide.
- Read packaged food labels properly. Even though it is labeled organically, the product may still contain excessive amounts of calories, sugar, and salt.
Both organic and non-organic foods, if you want to get maximum nutrition from food, consume vegetables and fruits in a fresh condition. Nutrients contained in food can experience oxidation from time to time. For example, even if you have organic oranges, but if you keep them for so long in the refrigerator, you might lose a lot of nutrients from the orange fruit.